Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Katy and Grandma



My Mom was up to visit at Christmas, so she and Katy did meet. However, the house was crowded and Katy was overwhelmed with the changes to the house and the number of people who seemed to find a all her favorite spots fun to hang out in. Bailey enjoyed Grandma's attention while Katy hid away from all the excitement.

Mom usually makes a spring or summer visit. Last year she came for her granddaughter’s graduation, this year around Mother's Day and her birthday. She came by the house for a birthday lunch and was determined to meet the newest doggy grandchild.

Some people have suggested Katy may be shy by nature. However, I have seen signs that Katy really wants to join the family gatherings, she just is afraid of the outcome. I have tried a strategy of placing her on her favorite couch, petting her and comforting her and having someone sit in a chair next to the couch and just scratching her ears or lightly petting her. This strategy has been effective. She has licked a few of these people and when released even tried to overcome her fears and approach them. She has seen Bailey get lots of Grandma love and she wants in on Bailey's action. Bailey is content to let Katy stay on the outside looking in. He is more than happy to have the guests to himself, especially Grandma. Bailey's reaction has encouraged Katy to try even harder to overcome her fears.

She is making huge progress. It is hard for outsiders to see, but I can see confidence that was not present in September.

8 comments:

  1. That's wonderful!

    I see small improvements in Oreo, now that Chewy is here. I don't think any one else would notice, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good that she's coming out of her shell! It can be a really slow process! Our Felix was a rescue and it took over three years before he started really joining in and greeting new faces with complete enthusiasm and excitement. You have the right idea to ease her in slowly, in time, she'll find her place in the family and feel confident being there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Katy! I hope she keeps coming out of her shell. :) Sometimes I think that Nala's shy, but then I realize that it's just me taking over the spotlight. ;)

    Woofs & hugs,

    ~Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that Katy is starting to feel more confident.
    I do know that many Shelties are more skittish and wary by nature so some of that could be her make up...our Dakota isn't readily friendly with strangers but once he knows you, watch out! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sounds so good! Katy will slowly overcome her fear and join the crowd soon. With Bailey there, she'll be braver and more adventurous soon. I think she just needs a bit more time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful that Katy is making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Katy for your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take your time, Katy. Making progress sounds great!

    Momo & Pinot

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and try to respond back on your blogs.
I am sorry I cannot comment on blogs which require Google + or Facebook to comment. I am not a member and have no plans to join.